Quick Exit

What to do if you are worried about a child

Domestic Abuse

Definition of Domestic Abuse:

“Any incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive or threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over ,who are or have been intimate partners or family members regardless of gender or sexuality. This can encompass but is not limited to the following types of abuse; psychological, physical, sexual, financial and emotional”.

Domestic Abuse is an under reported crime, with only an estimated 40% of cases reported to the Police. It has more repeat victims than any other crime and is estimated to affect one in four women and one in six men. On average two women are killed a week by their current or ex partner. Research suggests that exposure to domestic abuse at a young age may be problematic for a child’s development. It could result in future violent behaviour, criminal activity and increased risk of emotional needs in later life. Not recognising an unhealthy, controlling and inappropriate relationship can lead to a child being potentially vulnerable to sexual exploitation.

If you know anyone who is a victim of domestic abuse or you yourself are a victim, there is help for you. We appreciate that getting in contact will be challenging but there are support groups ready to help.

Berkshire Women’s Aid - (0118) 950 4003 - www.berkshirewomensaid.org.uk

National Domestic Abuse Helpline - 0808 2000 247 - www.nationaldahelpline.org.uk

Men’s Advice Line - 0808 801 0327 - www.mensadviceline.org.uk

Galop - 0800 999 5428 - www.galop.org.uk

Respect helpline - 0808 802 4040 - www.respect.uk.net/about-us 

    National Centre for Domestic Violence

    Domestic Abuse Refuges

    Domestic Abuse Perpetrators

    Male Victims of Domestic Abuse

    Young People Using Violence

    Support for Women and Children

    LGBT+ Domestic Violence Helpline

    Keeping Safe - Tips for working with families affected by Domestic Abuse


    Have your say...

    Comments are closed for this article

    Parents and Carers

    If you are concerned about the safety or welfare of a child, you should report your concerns to your local authority. Please click on your local authority link below to be directed to the correct page.

    Call 999 in an emergency if you believe a child is in immediate danger

    Useful websites