Quick Exit

What to do if you are worried about a child

Concerned about a Child in Reading

If a child is at immediate risk dial 999 and ask for Police assistance.

If you are a professional or volunteer and are concerned about a child you should discuss this with your safeguarding lead or manager in your agency and together agree the most appropriate course of action.  This may be speaking with the family about the concerns and undertaking an early help assessment or signposting to appropriate services to address the families needs.

Any adult who is concerned that the situation is urgent or a child is at risk of suffering significant harm should consult or refer to the Children's Single Point of Access, Tel: 0118 937 3641, 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays).  Outside these hours, contact the Emergency Duty Service (EDS) on 01344 351999.

Safeguarding children is everyone's responsibility and it is important to act on concerns in a timely manner to ensure that children and their families get the right help at the right time to prevent problems escalating.   

Follow these links to the Brighter Futures for Children website to find out more: 

Where do I go for help?

The Children's Single Point of Access is how to raise a concern about a child (pre-birth to 18 years old) in Reading, including safeguarding and child protection. It is a single point of contact for all early help and children’s social care services, including disabled children.

There are 3 ways to contact the team:


Have your say...

Comments are closed for this article