Quick Exit

What to do if you are worried about a child


Ofsted policy and guidance for whistleblowers

This policy outlines what Ofsted will do when it receives certain concerns about children’s social care services from a whistleblower. The policy covers all children’s social care establishments, agencies, services and providers that Ofsted inspect and/or regulate.

If you believe that a child is or children are at immediate risk of harm, you should refer your concern to the children’s social care department of the local authority area where the child lives or report this to the police. This includes children living in or supported by agencies that are run independently of the local authority. Further information on the safeguarding of children can be found in ‘Working together to safeguard children 2018’.

If you would like to read more, please click here

NSPCC Whistleblowing Advice Line

The NSPCC has officially launched its Whistleblowing Advice Line. This has been developed to provide support to employees wishing to raise concerns over how child protection issues are being handled in their own or other organisations.

The NSPCC Whistleblowing Advice Line can be reached on 0800 028 0285.

If you would like to read more, please click here

Whistleblowing Procedure for Maintained Schools

Every maintained school should have a whistleblowing procedure that protects staff members who report colleagues they believe are doing something wrong or illegal, or who are neglecting their duties. Information for employees on ‘blowing the whistle’, including a definition of whistleblowing has been published by the Department for Education and is available here.

Governing bodies of maintained schools are responsible for agreeing and establishing the school’s whistleblowing procedure. All schools should base their whistleblowing procedures on the procedure of the local authority.

Read more on the guidance here.


Have your say...

Comments are closed for this article